The Accessibility Hui is an internal meeting of Wellington City Council staff from different disciplines who all have an interest in accessibility. The Hui was started in December 2019 after the launch of the Accessible Wellington Action Plan 2019.
Last week the Wellington City Council Website team hosted the March Accessibility Hui. Due to the quickly unfolding situation with Covid-19, it was decided at the last minute to run this as a Webinar. As a consequence of this change, the session was recorded.
The session included:
- Kristine Ford as our convenor (and the person who established the Hui)
- Jason Kiss, from DIA the leading NZ expert on web content accessibility, giving an introduction to creating accessible content
- Jane Hadaway, the Team Leader of the Council’s Website team sharing the work her team is doing and has done to improve accessibility of wellington.govt.nz
- Kyal Little a customer service representative from the Council’s Contact Centre demonstrating using wellington.govt.nz on a screen reader
- Matt Lane on how we can make images we upload accessible for blind/low vision users
You can read the slides from the event here:
You can view the video of the session here:
Outside of work, I also spent an evening creating data visualisations out of the WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) criterion (using some older charts I had made as a reference). Unfortunately, due to my skill limitations they are not accessible themselves (any help appreciated):